Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I have created this space to provide a quick resource site for those seeking information on Witchcraft. Feel free to comment and critique my work, also if you see your work on here and it does not give due credit to you let me know and You will receive full credit immediately. I do not claim all of this work as my own. I have compiled much and occassionally have not collected the source with the material. I apologize, and will give you credit if you contact me. I have also lost contact with Mark Sumpter so as soon as I find him again I will post links.
~Blessings,
SilverThorn

Thursday, February 5, 2009

The forgotten language of flowers

In the early 18th century the Turkish "Secret Language of Flowers" was introduced to Europe by Lady Mary Wortley Montague, wife of the British ambassador to Constantinople. Flowers had long been a sign of romance but now lovers were able to send secret messages to each other by means of sending a posy of flowers. Each flower had a specific meaning and the order of arrangement had much to do with the intended "message". The French seem to have taken this idea to heart. In 1819 a French woman writing under the pen name of Madame Charlotte de la Tour (Louise Cortambert), wrote and published "Le Language des Fleurs" which offered seasonal floral and anecdotal advice to those wishing to send "secret" messages to each other.

The following list of flowers comes mainly from that original book but has been augmented to include some common flowers of today as some of those from yesteryear are unknown. Enjoy this glimpse into the past and keep this in mind the next time you send or receive flowers!

~A~

Abecedary: Volubility
Abatina: Fickleness
Acacia: Chaste love, Concealed love, Friendship
Acacia, Rose: Friendship
Acacia, Rose or Pink: Elegance
Acacia, Rose or White: Elegance
Acacia, White: Friendship; Ours is a Chaste Love
Acacia, Yellow: Secret love
Acalia: Temperance
Acanthus: Arts
Achillea Millefolia: War
Achimeness: Such worth is rare
Aconite (Wolfsbane): Misanthropy, Treachery
Aconite, Crowfoot: Luster
Acorn: Nordic Symbol of Life and immortality
Adonis, Flos: Painful recollections;
Adonis Vernalis: Bitter memories
African Marigold: Vulgar minded
Agnus Casus (or Castus): Coldness, life without love, Indifference;
Agrimony: Thankfulness, Gratitude
Allspice: My Heart Feels Compassion
Almond: Hope, Giddiness, Heedlessness
Almond (Common): Stupidity, Indiscretion
Almond (Flowering): Hope; I continue to hope
Almond, Laurel: Perfidy
Almond Tree: Stupidity, thoughtlessness
Aloe: Sorrow--Dejection, Superstition, Bitterness, Grief, Religious superstition;
Alstroemeria: Strength
Althaea Frutes (Syrian Mallow): Persuasion
Althea: Consumed by love
Alyssum, Sweet: Worth beyond beauty
Amaranth: Immortality; Unfading Love
Amaranth (Globe): Immortality; Unfading love
Amaranth (Cockscomb): Foppery; With Affectation
Amaryllis: Splendid beauty, Beautiful but timid; Pride; Pastoral Poetry
Ambrosia: Love returned
American Cowslip: Divine beauty; Beauty divine
American Elm: Patriotism
American Linden: Matrimony
American Star Wort: Welcome to a stranger; Cheerfulness in old age
Amethys (or Amethyst): Admiration; My love for you is undying
Anemone: Anticipation, Expectation
Anemone, Field: Sickness, illness
Anemone, Garden: Forsaken; Withered hopes; Illness
Anemone, Windflower: Desertion; Forsaken
Anemone (Zephyr Flower): Sickness; Expectation
Angelica/Angelica Herb: You are my Inspiration
Angrec: Royalty
Apocynum (Dogbane): Inspiration, Deceit
Apple: Temptation; Let me Tempt you; Give in to Temptation
Apple Blossom: Preference; Fame speaks him great and good; I prefer you
Apple, Thorn: Deceitful charms
Apricot Flower: Doubt, distrust
Arbor vitae: Unchanging friendship; Live for me
Arbutus: Thee only do I love
Arbutus, Trailing: Welcome
Arkansas Coreopsis: Love at first sight
Arum: Ardour/Ardor; Ferocity and deceit
Ash/Ash Tree: Grandeur
Ash-leaved Trumpet Flower: Separation
Ash, Mountain: Prudence
Aspen Tree: Lamentation; Sighing
Asphodel: Regrets beyond the grave; Remembered beyond the tomb; My regrets follow you to the grave
Aster (China): Variety; Afterthought;
Aster, Large flowered: Afterthought; Love of variety;
Auricula, Scarlet: Avarice
Austurtium: Splendour
Autumn Leaves: Melancholy
Azalea: Romance; Temperance; Take Care of Yourself for Me; Chinese Symbol of Womanhood; Fragile Passion; True to the end

~B~

Baby's Breath: Ours is an everlasting love
Bachelor's Button: Hope; Single Blessedness; Celibacy; Hope in love
Balm: A cure; Sympathy;
Balm, Gentle: Pleasantry
Balm, Mint: Pleasantry
Balm of Gilead: Healing; I am cured; Relief
Balsam: Impatience; My love for you can't wait
Balsam, Red: Touch me not; Impatient resolves
Balsam, Yellow: Impatience
Balsamine: Impatience
Barberry: Sharpness, satire; Petulance; Ill temper; Sourness of temper
Barberry Tree: Sharpness
Basil: Give me your good wishes; Best Wishes
Bay Leaf: I change but in dying; No change till death; I change but in death
Bay (Rose) Rhododendron: Danger; Beware
Bay Tree: Glory
Bay Wreath: Reward of merit
Bearded Crepis: Protection
Beech: Prosperity; Lovers' tryst
Bee Ophrys: Error
Bee Orchis: Industry
Begonia: Deformed; Beware
Belladonna: Silence
Bell Flower: Constancy; Gratitude
Bell Flower, Pyramidal: Constancy
Bell Flower (small white): Gratitude
Bells of Ireland: Good Luck
Belvedere: I declare against you;
Belvidere, Wild (Licorice): I declare against you;
Betony: Surprise
Bilberry: Treachery
Bindweed: Humility; Night;
Bindweed, Great: Insinuation
Bindweed, Small: Humility
Birch Tree: Gracefulness; Meekness
Birdsfoot Trefoil: Revenge
Bittersweet; Nightshade: Truth
Black Bryony: Be my support
Black Poplar: Courage; Affliction;
Black Thorn: Difficulty
Bladder Tree: Frivolous amusement
Bladder-Nut Tree: Frivolous amusements
Bluebell: Constancy; Kindness; Humility
Blue Bottle: Delicacy
Blue-flowered Greek Valerian: Rupture
Borage: Bluntness; Abruptness; Rudeness
Bonus Henricus: Goodness
Borus Henricus: Goodness
Bouquet of Withered Flowers: Rejected Love
Box/Box Tree: Indifference; Constancy; Stoicism; Constancy in friendship
Bramble: Lowliness; Envy; Remorse
Branch of Currants: You please all
Branch of Thorns: Severity; Rigor
Bridal Rose: Happy love
Briers: Envy
Broken Straw: Constancy
Broom: Humility; Neatness;
Browallia Jamisonii: Could you bear poverty
Buckbean: Calm repose
Bud of White Rose: Heart ignorant of love;
Bugloss: Falsehood
Bulrush: Docility
Bundle of Reeds, with their Panicles: Music
Burdock: Importunity; Touch me not;
Buttercup: Riches; Memories of childhood; Ingratitude; Childishness
Butterfly Orchis: Gaiety
Butterfly Weed: Let me go

~C~

Cabbage: Profit
Cacalia: Adulation
Cactus: Thou leavest me; Warmth; Our love shall endure
Calla AEthiopica: Magnificent Beauty
Calla Lilly: Feminine beauty; Delicacy; Modesty;
Calycanthus: Benevolence
Calendula: Constancy
Camellia: Gratitude; Perfect; Loveliness; I shall love you always; Admiration; Gift to a Man
Camellia Japonica, Red: Unpretending excellence
Camellia Japonica, White: Perfected loveliness
Camellia, Pink: Longing for you
Camellia, Red: You're a flame in my heart
Camellia, White: You're adorable
Camomile/Chamomile: Energy in adversity
Canary Grass: Perseverance, determination
Candytuft: Indifference
Canterbury Bell: Gratitude; Constancy; Acknowledgement
Cape Jasmine: I'm too happy;
Cape Jasmine Gardenia: Transport; Ecstasy
Cardamine: Paternal error
Cardinal Flower: Distinction; Preferment
Carnation: Pure and deep love; Pride and beauty; Fascination
Carnation, Deep Red: Alas! for my poor heart
Carnation, Pink: I'll never forget you
Carnation, Purple: Capriciousness
Carnation, Red: My heart aches for you
Carnation, Solid Color: Yes
Carnation, Striped: Refusal; No; Sorry I can't be with you
Carnation, White: Sweet and Lovely; Innocence; Pure Love; Women's Good Luck Gift
Carnation, Yellow: Disdain; Rejection; You have disappointed me
Carrot Flower: Do not refuse me
Catalpa Flower: Beware of the coquette
Catchfly: Snare; Caught at last
Catchfly (Silene), Red: Youthful love
Catchfly, White: I fall a victim; Betrayed
Cattail: Peace; Prosperity
Cedar: Think of me; I live for thee; Strength
Cedar Leaf: I live for thee
Cedar of Lebanon: Incorruptible
Cedar Sprig: Constancy in love; I live for thee
Celandine: Future joy; Many Joys to come
Cereus (Creeping): Modest genius;
Cereus, Night Blooming: Transient Beauty
Centaury Delicacy
Champignon: Suspicion
Checkered Fritillary: Persecution
Cherry: A good education;
Cherry Blossom: Spiritual beauty
Cherry Tree: Good education
Cherry Tree, White: Deception
Chestnut: Do me justice
Chestnut Tree: Do me justice; Luxury;
Chickweed: I cling to thee; Rendezvous; Will you meet me?
Chickory : Frugality; Economy
China Aster: Love of variety; I will think of thee
China Aster, Double: I partake your sentiments
China Aster, Single: I will think of it, deliberation
China, Pink: Aversion
China or Indian Pink: Aversion
China Rose: Beauty always new
Chinese Chrysanthemum: Cheerfulness under adversity
Chorozema Varium: You have many lovers
Christmas Rose: Relieve my anxiety;
Chrysanthemum: You're a wonderful friend; Cheerfulness and Rest
Chrysanthemum, Red: I love
Chrysanthemum, Rose: In love
Chrysanthemum, White: Truth, veracity
Chrysanthemum, Yellow: Slighted love
Cinnamon Tree: Forgiveness of injuries;
Cinquefoil: Beloved child; A beloved daughter; Maternal affection
Cistus, or Rock Rose: Surety; Popular favour
Cistus, Gum: I shall die to-morrow
Citron: Ill-natured beauty;
Clarkia: The variety of your conversation delights me
Clematis: Artifice; Mental beauty
Clematis, Evergreen: Poverty
Clinging Woodbine: Fraternal love
Clotbur: Rudeness; Pertinacity
Clover, Four-leaved: Be mine
Clover, Purple: Providence
Clover, Red: Industry
Clover, White: I promise; Think of me
Cloves: Dignity
Clyanthus: Worldliness
Coboea: Gossip
Cockle: Vain is beauty without merit
Cockscomb Amaranth: Foppery; Affectation; Singularity
Colchium/Colchicum, or Meadow Saffron: My best days fled; My best days are past
Coltsfoot: Justice shall be done you
Columbine: Desertion; Folly
Columbine, Purple: Resolved to win
Columbine, Red: Anxious and trembling; Great anxiety
Convolvulus: Bonds
Convolvulus, Blue (Minor): Repose; Night
Convolvulus Major: Dead hope Extinguished hopes;
Convolvulus Minor: Uncertainty
Convolvulus, Pink: Worth sustained by judicious and tender affection
Corchorus: Impatience of happiness; Impatient of absence
Corcopsis: Love at first sight
Coreopsis: Always cheerful
Coreopsis Arkansas: Love at first sight
Coriander: Hidden merit/value
Corn: Riches; Abundance
Corn, Broken: Quarrel
Corn Bottle: Delicacy
Corn Buttercup: Riches, wealth
Corn Cockle: Gentility
Corn Straw: Agreement
Cornel Tree: Duration
Cornelian Cherry Tree: Continuance; Duration
Coronella: Success crown your wishes
Coronilla: Success to you
Cowslip: Native grace; Pensiveness; Winning grace
Cowslip, American: Divine beauty; You are my divinity
Coxcomb: Foppery
Crab Blossom: Ill-tempered
Cranberry: Cure for heartache;
Crane's Bill: Envy
Creeping Cereus: Horror
Cress : Power; Stability, always reliable
Crocus: Cheerfulness; Abuse not
Crocus, Spring: Youthful gladness
Crocus, Saffron: Mirth
Crowfoot: Ingratitude
Crowfoot (Aconite-leaved): Lustre
Crown Imperial: Majesty; Power; Pride of birth
Crowsbill: Envy
Cuckoo Plant: Ardour
Cuckoo Flower: Paternal Error
Cucumber: Criticism
Cudweed, American Unceasing remembrance;
Currants: You please me; Thy frown will kill me;
Cuscuta: Meanness
Cyclamen: Diffidence; Resignation; Goodbye
Cypress: Death; Mourning; Despair; Mourning;
Cypress and Marigold: Despair

~D~

Daffodil: Chivalry; Unequalled love; Regard; I send my regards; You're the only one; The is always shining when I'm with you
Dahlia: Eloquence and dignity; Forever thine
Daisy, Garden: I share your feelings; I share your sentiments
Daisy, Michaelmas: Farewell
Daisy, Party-coloured: Beauty
Daisy, Red: Beauty unknown to possessor
Daisy, Single Field: I will think of it
Daisy, White: Innocence; Loyal Love; I'll never tell; Purity
Daisy, Wild: I will think of it;
Damask Rose: Bashful love; Brilliant complexion;
Dandelion: Rustic oracle; Coquetry; Lover's Oracle; Faithfulness; Happiness
Dandelion Ball: Depart
Daphne Mezereon: I desire to please;
Daphne Odora: I would not have you otherwise;
Darnel (Ray grass): Vice;
Datura: Deceitful charms
Daylily: Coquetry
Dead Leaves: Sadness
Dew Plant: Serenade;
Dianthus: Make haste;
Diosma: Usefulness;
Dittany: Birth;
Dittany of Crete: Birth
Dittany of Crete, White: Passion;
Dittany, White: Passion;
Dock: Patience;
Dodder: Meanness; Baseness;
Dogsbane: Deceit; Falsehood;
Dogwood, Flowering: Am I indifferent to you?; Durability; Our love will endure adversity
Double Daisy: Participation; Enjoyment;
Dragon Plant: A snare;
Dragonwort : Horror; Astonishment;
Dyplidinia Brassinoda: You are too bold;

~E~

Ebony: Hypocrisy; Blackness;
Eglantine: I wound to heal;
Elder: Compassion; Zealousness;
Elecampane: Tears;
Elm: Dignity and grace;
Enchanter's Nightshade: Witchcraft; Sorcery;
Endine: Frugality;
Endive: Frugality;
Epigaea, Repens: Budding beauty;
Everflowering Candytuft: Indifference
Eupatorium: Delay;
Evening Primrose: Inconstancy
Evergreen: I will remember you forever
Evergreen Clematis: Poverty; Want;
Evergreen Thorn: Solace in adversity;
Everlasting: I think of thee; Never-ceasing remembrance;
Everlasting Pea: Wilt thou go with me? Lasting pleasure; Go not away;

~F~

Fennel: Force; Strength; Worthy all praise
Fern: Fascination; Magic; Sincerity; Confidence and Shelter
Fern, Maidenhair: Sacred Bond of Love
Fever Root: Delay;
Ficoides, Ice Plant: Your looks freeze me; Addresses rejected;
Fig: Argument; Longevity, long-lived;
Fig Marigold: Idleness
Fig Tree: Prolific
Filbert: Reconciliation
Fir: Elevation; Time
Fir Tree: Elevation
Flax: I feel your kindness; I feel your benefits; Domestic Industry;
Fate; I am sensible of your kindness
Flax-leaved: Tardiness
Fleur-de-lis: Flame; I burn;
Fleur-de-Luce: Fire;
Flora's Bell: Without pretension
Flos, Adonis: Painful recollections;
Flowering Fern: Reverie;
Flowering Reed: Confide in heaven;
Flowering Rush: Confidence in Heaven
Flower-of-an-Hour: Delicate beauty
Flytrap: Deceit; Artifice
Fools' Parsley: Silliness;
Forget-me-not: True love; Do not forget; Memories
Forsythia: Anticipation
Fox Glove: I am ambitious only for you; Insincerity; A wish;
Foxtail Grass: Sporting
Francisca Latifolia: Beware of a false friend
Fraxinella: Fire
Freesia: Trust
French Honeysuckle: Rustic beauty;
French Marigold: Jealousy
French Willow: Bravery and humanity;
Fritillaria (Guinea-hen Flower): Persecution
Frog Ophrys: Disgust
Fuchsia: Humble love; The ambition of my love thus plagues itself
Fuchsia, Scarlet: Taste
Fuller's Teasel: Misanthropy
Fumitory Spleen; Hatred
Furze: Anger; Love for all seasons

~G~

Garden Anemone: Forsaken;
Garden Chervil: Sincerity;
Garden Daisy: I partake your sentiments;
Gardenia: Transport; Ecstasy; Secret Love; You're Lovely
Garden Marigold: Sacred affection; Uneasiness;
Garden Ranunculus: You are rich in attractions;
Garden Sage: Esteem;
Garland of Roses: Reward of virtue;
Garlic: Courage; Strength
Gentian: Intrinsic worth; Integrity;
Gentian, Fringed: Intrinsic worth;
Geranium, General: Comfort
Geranium, Apple: Present preference; Facility;
Geranium, Dark: Melancholy
Geranium, Ivy: Your hand for next dance; Bridal favour; I engage you for the next dance
Geranium, Lemon: Unexpected meeting
Geranium, Nutmeg: I expect a meeting; Expected meeting;
Geranium, Oak: Lady, deign to smile; A melancholy mind;
Geranium, Oak-leaf: True friendship;
Geranium, Pencilled: Ingenuity;
Geranium, Rose: Preference; I prefer you;
Geranium, Scarlet: Silliness; Comforting; Stupidity;
Geranium, Silver-leaf: Recall
Geranium, Wild: Steadfast piety;
Germander Speedwell: Facility
Gillyflower: Bonds of affection;Lasting beauty
Gillyflower, Common: Lasting Beauty;
Gillyflower, Stock: Promptness
Gladiolus : Ready armed; Preparedness; Flower of the Gladiators; Give me a break, I'm really sincere
Glory Flower: Glorious beauty; Glory;
Gloxinia: Love at First Sight
Glycine: Your friendship is agreeable to me
Goat's Rue: Reason
Gold Basket: Tranquility
Golden Rod: Encouragement; Precaution;
Gooseberry: Anticipation
Goosefoot: Goodness
Gorse (or Furze): Endearing affection; Anger; Our Friendship is enduring
Gourd: Extend; Bulk
Grammanthes: Your temper is too hasty;
Grape: Charity; Intemperance;
Grape Vine: Intemperance
Grass: Utility; Submission; Usefulness;
Great Yellow Daffodil: Chivalry
Greek Valerian: Rupture
Guelder Rose: Winter; Age; Good news
Gum Cistus: I shall die to-morrow

~H~

Hand Flower Tree: Warning
Harebell: Grief; Retirement; Submission;
Hawkweed: Quicksightedness
Hawthorn: Hope
Hazel: Reconciliation
Hazelnut/Filbert: I would like to reconcile
Heart's Ease: Think of me;
Heart's Ease, Purple: You occupy my thoughts;
Heath: Solitude
Heather, Lavender: Admiration; Solitude
Heather, White: Protection; Wishes will Come True
Helenium: Tears
Heliotrope: I adore you; Devotion;
Heliotrope, Peruvian: I love; Devotion; Faithfulness; Infatuation, Adoration
Hellebore: Scandal; Calumny;
Helmet Flower (Monkshood): Knight-errantry
Hemlock: You will be my death;
Hemp: Fate
Henbane: Blemish; Fault; Imperfection;
Hepatica: Confidence
Hibiscus: Delicate beauty
Hoarhound: Fire
Holly: Domestic happiness; Am I forgotten?; Foresight; Defense
Holly Herb: Enchantment
Hollyhock: Fruitfulness; Fecundity; Ambition;
Hollyhock, White: Female ambition
Honesty (Lunaria): Sincerity; Honesty; Fascination;
Honey Flower: Sweet and secret love;
Honeysuckle: Spirit vision; The bond of love; Devoted love; Fidelity Generous and devoted affection;
Honeysuckle, Coral: The colour of my fate;
Honeysuckle (French): Rustic beauty;
Honeysuckle, Monthly: I will not answer hastily; Domestic happiness;
Honeysuckle, Wild: Devoted love
Hop: Injustice
Hornbeam : Ornament
Hornbeam Tree: Ornament, a treasure
Horse-Chestnut: Luxury
Hortensia: You are cold;
House-Leek: Domestic economy; Vivacity;
Houstania: Innocence; Content;
Houstonia: Content
Hoya (Wax Plant): Sculpture
Humble Plant: Despondency; Humility;
Hundred-leaved Rose: Dignity of mind;
Hyacinth: Jealousy Constancy; Benevolence; Sports & Games; Play; Rashness; Flower Dedicated to Apollo
Hyacinth, Blue: Constancy
Hyacinth, Purple: Sorrow; I am Sorry; Please Forgive Me
Hyacinth, Red or Pink: Play
Hyacinth, White: Unobtrusive loveliness; I'll pray for you
Hyacinth, Yellow: Jealousy
Hydrangea: Heartlessness; Vain-glory; Thank you for Understanding
Hyssop: Cleanliness

~I~

Iceland Moss: Health
Ice Plant: Your looks freeze me
Indian Cress: Resignation; Warlike trophy;
Indian Jasmine (Ipomoea): Attachment; I attach myself to you;
Indian Pink (Double): Always lovely;
Indian Plum: Privation;
Ipomaca: I attach myself to you;
Iris: I have a message for you; Fleur-de-lis, Emblem of France; Your friendship means so much to me; Faith; Hope; Wisdom and Valour; My Compliments
Iris, Common Garden: A message for thee;
Iris, German: Flame
Iris, Yellow: Flame
Ivy: Fidelity; Marriage; Wedded Love; Friendship; Affection
Ivy Leaf: Friendship
Ivy, Sprig of, with tendrils: Assiduous to please;
Ivy Tendrils: Assiduous to please
Ivy Vine: Matrimony, marriage

~J~

Jacob's Ladder: Come down
Japan Rose: Beauty is your only attraction;
Jasmine: Amiability; You are cheerful and graceful
Jasmine, Cape: Transport of joy;
Jasmine, Carolina: Separation
Jasmine, Indian: I attach myself to you;
Jasmine, Spanish: Sensuality
Jasmine, White: Amiability
Jasmine, Yellow: Grace and elegance
Jessamine, Cape: Transient joy
Jessamine, White: Amiability
Jessamine, Yellow : Grace; elegance
Jonquil: Sympathy; Return my affection; Desire; Affection returned; I desire a return of affection; Love Me
Judas-Tree: Betrayed; Unbelief;
Jumper: Asylum; Aid; Protection;
Juniper: Perfect loveliness; Succour; Protection; I will protect you
Justicia: The perfection of female loveliness;

~K~

Kalmia (Mountain Laurel): Treachery
Kennedia: Intellectual beauty; Mental beauty;
Kings-cups: Desire of riches; I wish I was rich;

~L~

Laburnum: Forsaken; Pensive Beauty;
Lady's Slipper: Win me and wear me; Capricious beauty
Lagerstraemia, Indian: Eloquence
Lagerstroema (Cape Myrtle): Eloquence
Lantana: Rigor
Larch: Boldness`; Audacity`;
Larkspur: Fickleness`; Lightness`; Levity;
Larkspur, Pink: Lightness`; Fickleness;
Larkspur, Purple: Haughtiness
Laurel: Glory;
Laurel, American: Words, though sweet, may deceive;
Laurel, Common, in flower: Perfidy
Laurel, Ground: Perseverance
Laurel, Mountain: Glory; Victory; Ambition of a hero
Laurel-leaved Magnolia: Dignity
Laurestina/Laurestine/Laurestinus/Laurustina: I die if neglected; A token
Lavatera: Sweet disposition
Lavender: Mistrust; Distrust;
Leaves (dead): Melancholy; Sadness
Lemon: Zest
Lemon Blossom: Discretion; Prudence; Fidelity in love
Lemon Verbena: Unity
Lettuce: Cold-hearted
Lichen: Dejection; Solitude;
Licorice, Wild: I declare against you;
Lilac: Do you still love me?
Lilac, Field: Humility
Lilac, Purple: First emotion of love
Lilac, White: Youthful; Innocence; Candor; Modest and Pure Emotions
Lily: Purity; modesty
Lily, Calla: Beauty
Lily, Day: Coquetry; Chinese Emblem for Mothers
Lily, Eucharis: Maiden Charms
Lily, Imperial: Majesty
Lily of the Valley: Return of happiness; Sweetness; Tears of the Virgin Mary; Humility; You've made my life complete
Lily, Orange: Hatred
Lily, Scarlet: High-bred, high-souled
Lily, Tiger: Wealth; Pride
Lily, Water: Eloquence; Sincerity; Purity of Heart
Lily, White: Majesty; Purity; Sweetness; Virginity; It's Heavenly to be with You
Lily, Yellow: Falsehood; Gaiety; I'm Walking on Air
Linden Leaf: Matrimony, marriage
Linden Sprig: Conjugal love
Linden Tree: Conjugal love
Linden or Lime Tree: Marriage; Conjugal love;
Lint: I feel my obligations;
Live Oak: Liberty
Liverwort: Confidence
Lobelia: Malevolence
Locust: Affection beyond the grave
Locust Tree: Elegance; Affection beyond the grave
Locust Tree (green): Love beyond the grave Affection beyond the grave;
London Pride: Frivolity
Lote Tree: Concord
Lotus: Forgetful of the past; Eloquence;
Lotus Flower: Estranged love; I love you still
Lotus Leaf: Recantation
Love in a Mist: You puzzle me; Perplexity;
Love-in-a-Puzzle: Embarrassment
Love Lies Bleeding: Hopeless, not heartless;
Lucerne: Life, existence
Lungwort (Pulmonaria): Thou art my life;
Lupine: Dejection; Voraciousness; Imagination;
Lychnis: Religious enthusiasm
Lythrum: Pretension

~M~

Magnolia: Love of Nature; Nobility
Magnolia, Grandiflora: Peerless and proud;
Magnolia, Swamp: Perseverance
Maiden's Hair: Discretion
Maize: Riches;
Mallow: Good and Kind; Sweetness; Mildness;
Mallow, Marsh: Beneficence
Mallow, Syrian: Consumed by love; Persuasion;
Mallow, Venetian: Delicate beauty;
Manchineal/Manchineel Tree: Falseness;
Mandrake: Horror; Rarity; Honor
Maple: Reserve
Marigold: Cruelty; Sacred Affection; Grief
Marigold, French: Jealousy
Marigold, Prophetic: Prediction; Cruelty; Grief; Jealousy
Marigold, Small Cape: Omen; Sign
Marigold and Cypress: Despair
Marjoram: Blushes
Marshmallow: Beneficence
Marvel of Peru (Four o-clock): Timidity
Mayflower: Welcome
Meadow Lychnis: Wit
Meadow Saffron: My best days are gone; Growing old
Meadow Sweet: Uselessness
Mercury: Goodness
Mesembryanthemum: Idleness
Mezereon: Desire to please; A flirt
Mignonette: Moral and mental beauty; Your qualities surpass your charms; Worth and Loveliness
Milfoil: War
Milkweed: Hope in misery
Milkvetch: Your presence softens my pain
Milkwort: Hermitage
Mimosa: Sensitiveness
Minchineel Tree: Hypocrisy
Mint: Virtue
Mistletoe: Obstacles to be overcome; I surmount all difficulties; I surmount everything; Kiss Me; Sacred Plant of India; Sacred Plant of the Druids
Mock Orange (Syringia): Counterfeit; Deceit
Monkshood: Deceit; A deadly foe is near; Treachery; Beware
Moonwort: Forgetfulness
Morning Glory: Coquetry; Affection: Vain glory
Moschatel: Weakness
Moss: Maternal love; Charity
Mossy Saxifrage: Affection
Moss Rose: Voluptuous love
Motherwort: Secret love; Concealed love
Mountain Ash: I watch over you; Prudence
Mourning Bride: Unfortunate attachment; I have lost all
Mouse Ear: Forget me not
Moving Plant: Agitation
Mudwort: Tranquility;
Mugwort: Good luck; Happiness
Mullein/Mullen: Good nature
Mushroom: Suspicion
Mush Plant: Weakness
Mustard Seed: Indifference
Myrrh: Gladness
Myrtle: Love in absence; Love; Hebrew Emblem of Marriage; With Joy

~N~

Narcissus: Uncertainty; Egotism; Self-love; Formality; Stay as Sweet as you are
Nasturtium: Patriotism; Splendor; Conquest; Victory in Battle
Nettle: Cruelty; Slander
Night Blooming Cereus: Transient beauty
Nightshade: Dark thoughts; Bitter truth
Nosegay: Gallantry
Nuts: Stupidity

~O~

Oak: Hospitality; Bravery
Oak Leaves: Bravery and Humanity
Oak Sprig: Hospitality
Oak (white): Independence
Oats: The witching soul of music
Oleander: Beware; Caution
Olive: Peace
Orange: Generosity
Orange Blossoms: Your purity equals your loveliness (and vice-versa); Chastity; Innocence; Marriage and Fruitfulness
Orange flower: Chastity; Bridal festivities
Orange Tree: Generosity
Orchid: Love; You are beautiful; You posses a refined beauty
Orchic, Cattleya: Mature Charm
Orchis: Beauty
Osier: Frankness
Osmunda: I dream of thee
Ox Eye: Patience

~P~

Palm Leaves: Victory; Success
Pansy: You occupy my thoughts; Think of me
Pansy, Purple: Heart's ease
Parsley: Entertainment; Festivity; Banquet; Lasting Pleasures
Pasque Flower: You have no claims
Passion Flower: Religious fervor; Devotion
Patience Dock: Patience
Pea: An appointed meeting
Pea, Everlasting: Wilt go with me?
Pea, Sweet: Departure; I am sorry I must leave
Peach Blossom: I am yours; You hold me captive
Pear and Pear Tree: Affection
Pennyroyal: Flee Away!
Peony: Anger; Ostentation; Shame; Bashfulness; Gay Life; Happy Marriage
Peppermint: Warmth of feeling
Periwinkle: Sweet memories
Periwinkle, Blue: Early friendship; Early attachment
Periwinkle, White: Pleasures of memory; Pleasant recollections
Persicaria: Restoration
Persimmon: Bury me amid nature's beauties
Peruvian Heliotrope: Devotion
Petunia: Am not proud; Don't despair; Resentment; Anger; Your Presence Soothes Me
Pheasant's Eye: Sorrowful memories; Remembrance
Phlox Our souls united; Unanimity; United hearts
Pigeon Berry: Indifference
Pimpernel: Rendezvous; Change; Assignation
Pine: Time; Endurance; Daring; Pity; Hope
Pine, Black: Pity
Pine, Pitch: Philosophy; Time and faith
Pine, Spruce: Hope in adversity; Farewell
Pine Tree: Courage, daring
Pineapple: Welcome; You are perfection
Pink: Pure affection; Boldness
Pink, Carnation: Woman's love
Pink, Clove: Dignity
Pink, Double-red: Pure and ardent love
Pink, Indian: Aversion
Pink, Indian, Double: Always lovely
Pink, Indian, Single: Aversion, dislike
Pink, Mountain: You are aspiring
Pink, Red: Love, ardent and sincere; Pure love
Pink, Single: Pure love
Pink, Variegated: Refusal
Pink, White: You are fair; Ingeniousness; Talent
Pink, Yellow: Disdain
Plane, or Platane: Genius
Plane Tree: Genius
Pleurisy Root (Asclopias): Heartache cure
Plum, Indian: Privation, suffering
Plum Tree: Genius; Keep your promise; Fidelity
Plum Tree, Wild: Independence
Plum, Wild: Independence
Poet's Narcissus: Egotism, self-love
Polyanthus: Confidence; Heart's mystery; Pride of riches
Polyanthus, Lilac: Confidence
Pomegranate: Foolishness; Conceit
Pomegranate, Flower: Mature elegance
Pompion, or Pumpkin: Grossness; Coarseness
Poplar, Black: Courage
Poplar, White: Time
Poppy: Eternal Sleep; Oblivion; Imagination; Consolation (Poppy is the floral sign of consolation probably because it was created by "Ceres" while in search of her daughter, Prosperpine, to assuage her grief)
Poppy, Corn: Consolation
Poppy, Red: Pleasure
Poppy, Scarlet: Fantastic extravagance
Poppy, White: Sleep of the heart; Oblivion; Sleep; My bane; My antidote; Consolation
Poppy, Yellow: Wealth; Success
Potato: Benevolence
Prickly Pear: Satire
Pride of China (Melia): Dissension
Primrose: Modest worth; Silent love; Early youth; I can't live without you
Primrose, Evening: Inconstancy
Primrose, Red: Unpatronized merit
Privet: Mildness; Prohibition
Privet, or Prim: Prohibition
Pumpkin: Coarseness, grossness
Purple Clover: Provident
Purple Scabious: Mourning
Pyrus Japonica: Fairies' fire

~Q~

Quaking-Grass: Agitation
Quamoclit: Busybody
Queen of the Meadow: Uselessness
Queen's Rocket: You are the queen of coquettes; Fashionable
Quince: Temptation

~R~

Ragged-robin (Lychnis): Wit
Ranunculus: You are radiant with charms; I am dazzled by your charms
Ranunculus, Garden: You are radiant with charms; You are rich in attractions
Ranunculus, Wild: Ingratitude
Raspberry: Remorse
Ray Grass: Vice
Red Bay: Memory
Red Catchfly: Youthful love
Reeds: Music, musical
Reed, Split: Indiscretion
Rest Harrow: Obstacle
Rhubarb: Advice
Rocket: Rivalry
Rose, Austrian: Thou art all that is lovely
Rose, Bridal: Happy love
Rose, Burgundy: Unconscious beauty
Rose, Cabbage: Ambassador of love
Rose, Campion: Only deserve my love
Rose, Carolina: Love is dangerous
Rose, Christmas: Tranquilize my anxiety
Rose, Cinnamon: Without pretension
Rose, Coral: Desire
Rose, Damask: Brilliant complexion; Freshness; Persian Ambassador of Love
Rose, Dark Crimson: Mourning
Rose, Dark Pink: Thankfulness
Rose, Deep Red: Bashful shame;
Rose, Dog: Pleasure and pain;
Rose, Full-blown: You are beautiful
Rose, Hibiscus: Delicate beauty
Rose, Inermis: Ingratitude
Rose, Lavender: Enchantment
Rose Leaf: I never trouble; You may hope
Rose, Maiden's Blush: If you love me, you will discover it
Rose, Musk: Capricious beauty
Rose, Orange: Fascination
Rose, Pale Peach: Modesty
Rose, Pale Pink: Grace; Joy
Rose, Pink: Perfect happiness, please believe me; Friendship
Rose, Red: I love you; Passionate Love
Rose, Red Leaved: Wishes for Prosperity
Rose, Sweetbrier: Sympathy
Rose, Tea: Always lovely; I'll remember
Rose, Thornless: Love at first sight
Rose, White: Innocence and purity, I am worthy of you, You're heavenly, Secrecy and silence
Rose; White-dried: Death is preferable to loss of virtue
Rose, White, Full: I am worthy of you
Rose, White (withered): Transient impression
Rose, White and Red together: Unity; Flower Emblem of England
Rose, Wild, Single: Simplicity
Rose, Yellow: Decrease of love; Infidelity; Unfaithfulness; Jealousy; Joy; Friendship
Rose, York and Lancaster: War
Roses, Garland of: Reward of virtue; Crown Symbol of Superior Merit
Roses, Wreath of: Reward of virtue;
Rosebay (Rhododendron): Beware; Danger
Rosebud: Confession of love; Young girl; Beauty and Joy; A Heart Innocent of Love
Rosebud, Moss: Confession of love;
Rosebud, Red: Pure and lovely; You are young and beautiful
Rosebud, White: The heart that knows not love; Girlhood; Too young to love
Roses, Bouquet of full bloom: Gratitude
Roses, Musk Cluster: Charming
Roses, Single full bloom: I love you, I still love you
Rosemary: Your presence revives me; Remembrance
Rudbeckia: Justice
Rue: Disdain
Rue, Wild: Manners
Rush: Docility
Rye Grass: Changeable disposition

~S~

Saffron/Saffron Flower: Do not abuse; Excess is dangerous; Beware of excess
Saffron Crocus: Do not abuse me
Saffron, Meadow: My happiest days are past
Sage: Esteem; Domestic Virtue; We have a wonderful family/household
Sage, Garden: Esteem
Sainfoin: Agitation
Saint John's Wort (Hypericum): Animosity; Superstition; You are a prophet
Sardonia: Irony
Sardony: Irony
Satin-flower (Lunaria): Sincerity; Forgetfulness; Am I forgotten?
Saxifrage, Mossy: Affection
Scabious: Unfortunate love
Scabious, Sweet: Widowhood
Scarlet Lychnis: Sunbeaming eyes
Schinus: Religious enthusiasm
Scotch Fir: Elevation
Scotch Thistle: Retaliation
Scratch Weed: Roughness; Hardness, harshness
Sensitive Plant: Timidity; Modesty; Sensibility; Delicate feelings; Sensitiveness
Senvy: Indifference
Serpent Cactus: Horror; Surprise
Service Tree : Prudence
Shamrock: Light-heartedness
Shepherd's Purse: I offer you my all
Silver Weed: Naivete
Smilax: Loveliness
Snakesfoot: Horror; Terror
Snake's Lounge: Slander
Snapdragon: Presumption; No, never; Deception; Gracious lady
Snowball: Bound; Thoughts of heaven
Snowdrop: Hope; Consolation, A friend in adversity
Sorrel: Wit ill-timed; Parental affection
Sorrel, Wild: Wit ill-timed
Sorrel, Wood: Joy
Southernwood: Jest; Bantering;
Spanish Jasmine: Sensuality; I think you're sexy
Spearmint: Warm feelings; Warmth of sentiment
Speedwell: Female fidelity; I remain faithful
Speedwell, Germander: Facility
Speedwell, Veronica: Female fidelity;
Spider, Ophrys: Adroitness
Spider Flower: Elope with me
Spiderwort: Esteem not love; Esteem, but not love
Spiked Willow Herb: Pretension
Spindle-tree: Your charms are engraven on my heart; Your image is engraved on my heart
Spotted Arum: Ardor, great warmth
Spring Caroline: Disappointment
Star of Bethlehem: Reconciliation; Purity; Guidance
Starwort: Afterthought;
Starwort, American: Welcome to a stranger; Cheerfulness in old age
Stephanotis: Happiness in marriage, Desire to travel
Stock: Lasting beauty; Bonds of affection, Promptness; You'll always be beautiful to me
Stock, Ten-week: Promptness
Stonecrop: Tranquility
Stramonium, Common: Disguise
Straw: Agreement; United
Straw, Broken: Rupture of a contract; Quarrel, contention
Straw, Whole: Union, unity
Strawberry: Perfect excellence
Strawberry Tree (Arbutus): Esteem and love
Sumac/Sumach: Splendid misery
Sumach, Venice: Splendour; Intellectual excellence
Sunflower: False riches;
Sunflower, Dwarf: Your devout admirer; Adoration; I adore you
Sunflower, Fall: Pride
Sunflower, Tall: Lofty and wise thoughts; Haughtiness
Swallow-wort: Cure for heartache
Sweet Basil: Good wishes; I send sweet wishes
Sweet Briar : Poetry; Simplicity
Sweetbrier, American: Simplicity
Sweetbrier, European: I wound to heal
Sweetbrier, Yellow: Decrease of love; Let us forget
Sweet Flag: Fitness
Sweet Pea: A meeting; Delicate pleasures; Departure, Blissful Pleasure; Thank you for a lovely time; Goodbye
Sweet Sultan: Felicity; Happiness; Felicity; Widowhood
Sweet William: Artifice; Dexterity; Gallantry; Will you smile?
Sycamore: Curiosity
Syringa: Memory; Fraternal love
Syringa, Carolina: Disappointment
Syringia: Memory

~T~

Tamarisk: Crime
Tansy: I declare against you
Tare: Vice
Teasel: Misanthropy
Tendrils of Climbing Plants: Ties
Tendrils of Plants: Ties
Thistle: Austerity; Sternness
Thistle, Common:; Austerity
Thistle, Fuller's: Misanthropy
Thistle, Scotch: Retaliation
Thorn Apple: Deceitful charms
Thorn, Black: Difficulty
Thorn, Branch of: Severity
Thorns: Severity
Thrift: Sympathy
Throatwood (Pulmonaria): Neglected beauty
Throatwort: Neglected beauty
Thyme: Activity
Tiger Flower: May pride befriend thee, For once my pride befriended me
Touch me not, Balsam: Impatience
Traveller's Joy: Safety, security
Tree of Life: Old age
Trefoil: Revenge
Tremella: Resistance
Tremella Nestoc: Opposition, resistance
Trillium Pictum: Modest beauty
Triptilion Spinosum: Be prudent
Truffle: Surprise
Trumpet Flower: Separation; Fame
Tuberose: Dangerous pleasures; Voluptuousness; Sweet voice
Tulip, General: Declaration of love; Fame; flower emblem of Holland; Perfect Lover
Tulip, Red: Declaration of love; Believe Me
Tulip Tree: Rural happiness; Fame
Tulip, Variegated: Beautiful eyes
Tulip, Yellow: Hopeless love; I am hopelessly in love; There's sunshine in your smile
Turnip: Charity
Tussilage, Sweet-scented: Justice shall be done you

~V~

Valerian: Facility; Accommodating disposition
Valerian, Greek: Rapture
Valerian, Red: Readiness
Venice Sumach: Splendour; Intellectual excellence
Venus' Car: Fly with me
Venus's Flytrap: Caught at last
Venus's Looking-glass: Flattery
Venus' Trap: Deceit
Verbena: Sensibility; Sensitiveness
Verbena, Pink: Family union
Verbena, Purple: I weep for you; Regret
Verbena, White: Pray for me
Verinoca Speciosa: I dare not
Vernal Grass: Poor but happy
Veronica: Fidelity
Vervain: Enchantment
Vetch: I cling to thee; Shyness
Vine: Intoxication; Drunkenness
Violet, Blue: Faithfulness; Modesty, modest love; I will remain faithful; I'll always be true
Violet, Dame: Watchfulness; You are the queen of coquettes
Violet, Purple: You occupy my thoughts
Violet, Sweet: Modesty
Violet, White: Purity; Candor; Modesty; Innocence; Let's take a chance on happiness
Violet, Yellow: Modest worth; Rural happiness
Virginian Spiderwort: Momentary happiness
Virgin's Bower: Filial love
Viscaria Oculata: Will you dance with me?
Volkamenia: May you be happy

~W~

Wall Flower: Fidelity in misfortune; Fidelity in adversity
Walnut: Intellect; Stratagem
Watcher-by-the-wayside: Never despair
Water Lily: Purity of heart
Water Melon: Bulkiness
Wax Plant: Susceptibility
Weeping Willow: Forsaken; Melancholy
Wheat: Wealth; Riches; Prosperity
Whin: Anger
White Jasmine: Amiableness
White Julienne: Despair not
White Lily: Purity and modesty
White Mullein: Good nature
White Oak: Independence
White Pink: Talent
White Poplar: Time
White Rose (dried): Death preferable to loss of innocence; Death before loss of innocence
Whortleberry: Treachery; Treason
Willow, Common: Forsaken
Willow, Creeping: Love forsaken
Willow, French: Bravery and humanity
Willow-Herb: Pretension
Willow, Water: Freedom
Willow, Weeping: Mourning
Windflower: Desertion, Forsaken
Winter Cherry: Deception
Witch Hazel: A spell is on me
Woodbine: Fraternal love
Wood Sorrel: Joy; Maternal Tenderness
Wormwood: Absence

~X~

Xanthium: Rudeness; Pertinacity
Xeranthemum: Cheerfulness under adversity

~Y~

Yarrow: Cure for the heartache
Yew: Sadness; Sorrow; Penitence, repentance

~Z~

Zennae: Absent friends
Zephyr Flower: Expectation
Zinnia: I mourn your absence; Thoughts of absent friends
Zinnia, Magenta: Lasting Affection
Zinnia, Mixed: Thinking (or in memory) of an absent friend
Zinnia, Scarlet: Constancy
Zinnia, White: Goodness
Zinnia, Yellow: Daily Remembrance

No comments:

Post a Comment